Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born


Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born. written by Jamie Lee Curtis. illustrated by Laura Cornell. 1996. 32p. New York: HarperCollins. (0064435814).


Illustrator Website: none

Media: watercolors

Awards and Honors: none

Audience: 4 and up

Annotation: 

A sweet and funny tale of adoption for young children.

Personal Reaction:

Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born is a book that can help parents discuss adoption with young children. Jamie Lee Curtis touches briefly on the circumstances behind the adoption ("Tell me again how you couldn't grow a baby in your tummy, so another woman who was too young to take care of me said...you would adopt me and be my parents"), but chooses to focus on the unconditional love that exists between parent and child- whether they are biological or adopted. Curtis does an excellent job balancing serious and silly in her story and  Laura Cornell's humorous watercolor illustrations add whimsy to what could otherwise be a heavy topic. The text is written as a child's request for her parents to retell the story of when she was born. It is simple and direct, and perfectly relatable for a young child. The details in Cornell's illustrations make's this a story children will want to explore again and again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment